The Nankang Tyres BMW Compact Cup Championship returned to Croft for round 4 of the 2019 championship, the first time in around 5 years. This meant that no drivers would know the track exceptionally well which would leave the races wide open, especially as the track has been recently resurfaced. With this in my mind, I knew the weekend would be wide open in the once again bumper 34 car grid


Dry conditions greeted us for qualifying. However the session was very broken up as only one lap was completed before a lengthy red flag period due to oil on the circuit. Due to the amount of time spent under the red flag, I thought that there would only be 2-3 laps of the session left so knew I needed to get on it straight away. I pushed as hard as I felt I could in what turned out to be 5 remaining laps and would line up in 22nd position for race 1 with a time of 1.44.083


I made a great launch in the first race before avoiding a spinning car on the opening straight, gaining positions in the opening corners. I was able to make another overtake before the end of lap one but this was all undone when I made a mistake into a fast right hander. I remained on the track but the tank slapper cost me four positions. The race was then interrupted by a brief safety car period for an incident that happened at the fast chicane. When the green flag was shown I set about trying to find a way past the driver in front of me but just a few corners into it the driver behind made contact with the back of my car. This pushed me off the track and cost me six positions in total. The hard work was on for me again but I was able to retake 2 drivers before the chequered flag was shown. I finished in a frustrating 21st position, left to think what could have happened had I not made the mistake on lap 2 and if I had not been hit after the safety car.


I had to put this behind me for race 2 though. I flew off the line and had to take to the grass to gain a position by turn 1. I gained further positions during the rest of lap one before contact at the final corner pushed me wide and undone my hard work. I once again set on a charge and gained two positions very quickly. I was then left with a large gap to the next drivers. I managed to put in some of my fastest laps of the weekend to really close up to the drivers but the chequered flag was waved just before I was close enough to overtake. I finished in race in 15th position, setting my fastest single lap of the weekend


Overall it was a great weekend at Croft but I couldn’t help also thinking ‘what if’ about what have could have happened. With this in mind I had to look ahead to my first visit to Anglesey which is the next round of the championship